Sunday, October 7, 2007

Week 3 cont.

#7 Technology

As I write this I am actually on a laptop working in front of the TV accessing the internet over our home's wireless network while also accessing remotely the network's main server as if I was actually in another room sitting in front of another machine. I am moving images and text between two computers in different rooms while not moving an inch. Gotta love that!

We have seen such an array of developments in technology in our lifetimes. Where would we be without computers now? We take everything computers do for granted and I will go so far as to say that most of us have only a small understanding just how far computers have moved into our everyday lives. We have kitchen appliances with computers in them. Fridges that keep track of what food is being used and makes a list of what needs to be replace and will even make grocery lists and shop online for you if you want it to.

We take ordering things over the internet for granted. I tried to buy watch batteries in a shop and found I would have to pay $12 for one. I needed two. I searched eBay and found I could buy 100 of them from China for $15, and that included postage. This person, like many other eBay sellers, don't have shop buildings to rent or overheads to cover and can sell their products for much cheaper prices. We, consumers, want things to be cheaper and we are prepared to wait a day or two for them, particularly if we get our products delivered to our doors. The question is now if we are likely to become an isolated community as we can get everything brought to us and we don't have to go anywhere to get anything we want or need?

No comments: